Re: world build fails since yesterday

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:55:13 -0700
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:19:42 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth_at_iam.unibe.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Hi
>
> I get the same behaviour on my T30. Although the indications for a
> hardware problem are very strong, I am not yet convinced that this
> really is one.
>
> My suspicion is that there are problems with current (as well with
> 5.1 and probably 5.0) with power management that will result in
> overheating, which will then look like a hardware problem.
>
> I am currently running continuous buildworlds on stable, and so far
> they all succeeded.
>
> This is what is left to do:
>
> run buildworld on current or 5.1 until it fails a couple of times
> with the below errors, then reboot to 4.8 and run a few buildworlds.
>
> if they also fail   -> hardware problem very likely
> if they do not fail -> run again a few buldworlds on current.
>    if these fail again -> software problem very likely
>
> could you please also set up this test scenario and report the
> outcome? my results will be available some time tomorrow

I had exactly these symptoms with my T30 at one point between 5.0 and
5.1. I got random failures in buildworld as well as in a few ports. I
never had any failures in normal operations and the errors were, when
closely checked, often things like unlinking files and changing file
attributes, not in the actual compile.

I fixed the problem by building a re-starting the build with
-DNOCLEAN. Eventually, the whole thing built. I had to make sure I was
not doing something that might leave damaged files around, especially
incomplete libraries, that would cause make to not rebuild them. It
did take a while.

Once I had built the new system and kernel, I installed them and
immediately did a complete rebuild of the system and kernel just in
case something was not quite right.

My T30 has been happily rebuilding 2 or 3 times a week since then with
no further problems.

Good luck!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer