Re: nss_ldap

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:50:22 -0700
Andrey Nepomnyaschih wrote:
> Hello over there,
>
> Well playing with it nss_ldap in 5.1R. I have found that ls -la
> Will not show the names of the owner if the owner resides in LDAP
> Directory only the corresponding uidNumbers. Is there a way to
> show the usernames instead of uidNumbers?

For this to work, ls must be dynamically linked.  However, dynamic
linking of /bin and /sbin isn't fully supported right now.
Gordon Tetlow is working to get this fully supported for 5.2.

If you want this now, try the following:

First, partition your disk carefully.  In particular,
make sure that /usr/lib is part of the root partition.
(If you have a separate /usr partition, then the shared
libraries can't be accessed during the initial boot
stages before /usr is mounted and everything fails.)

Second, in /usr/src/bin, edit Makefile.inc
to set
    NOSHARED?= NO
Then
    cd /usr/src/bin && make && make install
to build your dynamic /bin.

Cross your fingers and reboot.  Do NOT do this on a system
with important data.  Trashing /bin will render your system
completely unbootable.

You can do the same with /sbin, though I strongly
recommend that you add
   NOSHARED=YES
to the Makefile for /usr/src/sbin/init.  (IMO,
dynamically linking init is just begging for trouble.)

A number of people have done this, primarily for space reasons
(a dynamically-linked /bin and /sbin are much smaller)
and it does work.  But, the need to repartition
your disk is a bit of an obstacle.  ;-)  Gordon's
work will make the special partitioning unnecessary,
and provide a single switch for selecting dynamic
linking.

Warning: I haven't been brave enough to try this
myself, though I've heard reports from people who have. ;-)
Good luck.

Tim Kientzle