Re: 5.1-RELEASE & Windows XP dual-boot issues

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:28:14 -0500
On Monday 30 June 2003 08:34 pm, Jud wrote:
> I think Jesse Guardini's suggestion works when Win and FreeBSD are on the
> same drive.  You can still use the NT/2K/XP bootloader when the OSs are on
> different drives, but problem is, I could never figure out exactly what the
> FAQ was trying to tell me on that score.  You might take a look at the FAQ
> and see if it's clear to you.

If we're talking about different physical drives, the NT/2K(/XP?) bootloader
assumes it's running from the first BIOS drive in the system and pukes
otherwise (i.e. if it's been chained from a different boot program).  I never
could get it working on separate drives with boot0, but here's an excerpt
from my grub configuration:

title Windows 2000
root (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

grub has a nifty feature that intercepts and translates BIOS calls to remap
drives -- enough to keep the NT loader happy anyway.  Once enough of the
system is up that the real 2k disk driver is loaded, it should work fine.

Craig