Re: [Re: NFS -current

From: Steve Sizemore <steve_at_ls.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:24:04 -0800
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:09:28AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Steve Sizemore wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:18:11AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > In fact, the only legitimate argument I have ever heard for UDP
> > > has been "I have an old Linux install that can't talk TCP, as
> > > only UDP was implemented at the time I installed it".
> >
> > Have you already forgotten the locking problem that you were
> > helping me with last week? The only solution was to use UDP.
>
> Working around a screwed up implementation is not a "legitimate"
> argument.  The only legitimate argument to that is "unscrewing"
> the implementation.
>
> 8-).

I agree with that to a degree - at least from the perspective of a
developer. (If I had the knowledge and time to unscrew the
implementation, I would certainly try.) However, for those who are
primarily sysadmins and FreeBSD advocates, using UDP is a legitimate
alternative to switching to linux.

Steve
--
Steve Sizemore <steve_at_ls.berkeley.edu>, (510) 642-8570
Unix System Manager