Re: problem updating from 4.7 Stable do 5.0 Current

From: CARTER Anthony <a.carter_at_cordis.lu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:32:41 +0200
Process:

Boot up normally with 4.7 kernel.

DO THIS:

rm -rf /usr/obj/* (removes compiled files)
rm -rf /tmp/*

Add COMPAT_FREEBSD4 to your kernel configuration file.

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNELFILE
cp /usr/src/sys/${MACHINE}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints

(MACHINE = i386, powerpc, ia64 etc depending on architecture. check out the
directory first)

make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNELFILE

#The next line installs the 5.x boot loader.
cd /usr/src/sys/boot; make install

reboot.

Hit a key at boot (other than Enter)
Type: boot -s

This will boot into single user mode with your new kernel.

fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a

mergemaster -p
rm -rf /usr/include/g++
make installworld
mergemaster
<reboot>

PLEASE NOTE: Your should REALLY REALLY read the /usr/src/UPDATING file. All
the information given here is taken from that file...You should read that
file to find out if there are any particular entries that are relevent to
your platform.  The first few pages are updates to versions of FreeBSD, you
can ignore these really and scroll to the bottom where the upgrade processes
are described.

Good Luck,
Anthony Carter

Yeah.

When booting the computer and it tells you to press Enter to boot or any other
blah blah, hit any key (not enter ;)) and type

boot -s name_of_4.7_kernel

this will boot into single usermode.

Then, do this:

fsck -p