Re: 'dual' hosting STABLE and CURRENT ?

From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:46:36 +0200
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 21:29 -0600, Stacy Millions wrote:

> I can vouche for STABLE being able to build CURRENT. I installed CURRENT
> into a spare partition by cvsuping the source into /usr/current, doing
> a build world and build kernel, mounting the CURRENT file systems under
> /current and then doing make install DESTDIR=/current (and same for
> installing the kernel of course). Had a few missing files even after
> doing a mergemaster, but it did work.

Maybe 'man 8 jail' can help you here.  I think setting up a jail
and installing to a mounted disk of a different machine or for dual
booting is rather similar.

You might have missed the 'make -C etc distribution DESTDIR=$D'
step while mergemaster relies on etc being populated already.

FYI:  When _updating_ a jail one has to replace the 'make -C etc
distribution' step with a 'mergemaster -D $D' run.  Following the
setup instructions a second time will clobber your configuration.

And since we are at it:  the "P4 world on a PIII machine" problem
could have been resolved this way, too -- by mounting the disk
in a build machine and installing world with the DESTDIR variable
onto it to put the disk back afterwards into the PIII.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig_at_gmx.net