Re: gbde data corruption?

From: Fred Clift <fclift_at_verio.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:52:14 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Heiko Schaefer wrote:

> hm... cpu seems to be not the limiting factor at all - that machine has an
> athlon 1800+ and is idle >>50% most of the time. without understanding the
> technical details, it seems to me that working on bigger chunks of the
> disc at a time would result in much more throughput.

So how are you measuring cpu?  I seem to remember that system load average
and stats as reported by top dont include a good chunck of code executed
by the kernel - some does and some doesn't.

So, depending on how GBDE is implemented, it might be that your 'no load
average' observations are based on inaccurate data...

This could be kind of tested by checking disk throughput while running
some cpu-intensive programs and comparing it to the idle case...  Just a
thought.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift_at_verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.