Re: ACPI 0228 import errata

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
This thread is being moved to current_at_ and acpi-jp_at_

On Thu, 1 May 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20030501193258.GB778_at_athlon.pn.xcllnt.net>
>             Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net> writes:
> : The question: do people think we should try to get another ACPI
> : snapshot in (provided we have someone willing to do it) and thus
> : try to get it fixed the "official" way or are we ok with changing
> : contrib'd code in this case and revert to the vendor branch when
> : we do upgrade sometime after 5.1?
>
> We must have another snapshot with all the breakages that this import
> caused fixed.  If Nate isn't willing to do it, I would be.  In the
> long term it is in our best interest to get the issues resolved with
> the Intel code.

First of all, please coordinate any future efforts with jhb_at_, marcel_at_,
acpi-jp_at_, and myself as we were involved in making the 0228 import happen.
Second, I haven't seen a report about any problems from you on current_at_ or
acpi-jp_at_.  Please send in a report so we can look into it.  jhb_at_ pulled in
some local changes today which were missing from my import and which might
address things.  Please cvsup and let us know if it fixes things.

Many people have tested 0228 vs. 0328 and I had no problem reports from
0228 after I fixed one problem Marcel had on ia64.  0328 generated quite a
few problem reports.  I am committed to continuing to try to help people
with problems they experience, especially ones that are a regression with
this import.  I just do not have the time at the end of May to rush in
another import, especially with the marathon of testing that would be
needed since it is so close to the release (possibly _days_ before
tagging).  I think the most prudent approach is to do what we can to fix
the version in the tree.

As to your other point ("we must have another snapshot"), be careful what
you wish for.  GPE handling was completely rewritten for 0328 and gives
major problems for people.  0424 fixed some of the problems, but like with
any rewrite, there are still many that remain.  It's not clear that 052x
will fix them either but by working with acpi-jp_at_, we can each do our part
to at least make this a possibility.  We'd all really appreciate your
help.

-Nate