Re: save-entropy "route: not found"

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 10:14:36 -0300
Lucky Green wrote:
>>"Lucky Green" writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>$ man rc.conf # check out the second paragraph.
>

> I am a moron.

Not necessarily. (Mind you, I'm not saying you are _not_, just that that
doesn't follow from this :)

We have /etc/rc.local for commands you need to run. Now, it _seems_
natural to put commands in /etc/rc.conf, since that file is sourced. It
might get to seem less natural if one notes in how many places it is
actually sourced. One gets to entertain serious doubts about the wisdom
of doing that when one considers the possible need of sourcing it during
normal operation, just to get the settings while doing things with one
subsystem (like running /etc/rc.d/named restart, for example). But it
only breaks down when someone explains that rc.conf is actually a
configuration file, and that the configuration is read by the artifact
of sourcing it is a mere implementation detail.

Alas... what would people think of setting PATH to something
non-existent when sourcing rc.conf?

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org