first installation impressions on 5.0 -current as of 20. Apr

From: Andreas Klemm <andreas_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 16:34:54 +0200
Hi,

I made a test installation of the last -current snapshot
from current.freebsd.org.

BTW, nice service, this server offers a lot of different disk
images and functionality.

1st of all: thanks to all, who are working so busy on -current.
It looks really cool (process status, etc, ... ;-)

Here a list of some issues, that I found during installation:

1. Shortly before the first FreeBSD base package gets installed on
   disk you see some Messages popping up and vanish (in dialogue style),
   but so quickly, that you can't get an idea whats going on.

2. The last of these quickly popped up messages stays on screen for
   the next screens, wheen all the FreeBSD components (libs, sources, etc)
   get installed.
   Its the lower part of a message box, and you can read the following
   text: "added /dev/ad2s2b as initial swap space".

3. Strange behaviour of mouse klicks under X11, if moused is running
   and you use /dev/sysmouse as mousedevice under X11.
   Its a PS/2 mouse here. Configuring protocol ps/2 and using /dev/psm0
   works perfectly.
   The strange behaviour is, that a mouseclick doesn't immediately
   have an effect when clicking selections, next or o.k. buttons.
   You not only have to release the klicked mouse butten, additionally
   you have to move the mouse, so that the desired action is taken.
   So moused seems to buffer mousevents or something "compareable".
   But under 4.8-STABLE I also used the physical mousedevice. I assume
   (can't remember exactly) I had problems with sysmouse as well.
   Under current I used X11 from the ISO image and I installed and
   used the last kde3 binary package (installed by pkg_add -r kde).
   BTW, pkg_add -r is really cool. Such a nice and quick package
   installation is really wonderful, thanks for that !

4. All kernel processes in process status show in the column
   "Started" the date: 1Jan70. I think this should be the time,
   when the process has been started.

5. I tried to mount the FreeBSD-current partitions under
   FreeBSD-stable (latest 4.8-STABLE)
   There goes something really wrong.
   Mount doesn't complain when mounting, but when you try
   to access /current by typing
	cd /current
   then you can't change into that directory.
   You even DON'T see the mountpoint in the root directory anymore !!!!
   And cd complains with: /current, not a directory.
   You are able to unmount /current, and then you see again the
   mountpoint (the directory /current).
   You can mount and unmount /current without panics.
   And /current always vanishes, if you mount this current filesystem
   under stable.
   Additional information, the -current root-fs has normal parameters,
   as suggested by sysinstall, so softupdates are for example not enabled.

   Question: is this because of UFS2 in -current ???
   It would be fine to be able to mount -current filesystems still under
   -stable, because then I could do both:
	- test -current here and then AND
	- using the /current/usr partition for backup purposes
   hint: i nuked my /backup partition on 2nd IDE disk in favour to
   install and test -current.
   Would it be possible to get support of -currents new filesystems
   under -stable ? Or should it be possible and this is another
   failure ???

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/