Re: Floppy Support

From: Peter Schultz <peter_at_jocose.org>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 12:29:17 -0500
The Anarcat wrote:
> Do we need to go over this again?
>
> There *are* machines out there without CDROM and there's surely a lot
> of BIOS out there that can't boot from the CDROM.

Okay.  I also saw Doug Barton's comment on the floppy images needing to
work.

> Also, I like the idea of grabbing a 1.44MB file, writing it to a
> floppy and doing a network install of the necessary bits instead of
> downloading the whole ISO.
>
> Much more bandwidth friendly for our non-broadband friends out there.

I agree with you 100%.  The floppy install is great, it is the install
floppies that are not.

> Please, let the dead horse alone.

This problem is by no means dead, if it were I'd be able to download the
latest JPSNAP flops, AND USE THEM.  I would have never brought this up,
now would I.

I know that it is not an impossible problem to solve.  What about having
a more broken down set of floppies to choose from?  A plus would be that
people may well not need the drivers.flp because they can choose a
kern.flp more fitting to their system.

Pete...