Re: PostgreSQL7 port fails when I try to run initdb

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 14:16:05 -0700
On Thu, May 01, 2003, Bill Moran wrote:
> Looking at src/sys/kern/sysv_shm.c that I used to build my v5 kernel
> (1.74) and comparing it to the version I used to build my v4 kernel
> (1.45.2.6) I see the same default values for SHMMAXPGS, SHMMAX, SHMMIN,
> SHMMNI, SHMSEG, and SHMALL in both.  Yet my v4 kernel supports Postgre
> without any tweaks needed in the kernel config and my v5 kernel requires
> overriding those values in order for initdb to work.

Hmm...it worked fine for me in -CURRENT a little while ago with a
generic kernel.  I sometimes tweak the postgresql source to change
the value of IPC_NMAXSEM, but I'm pretty sure I didn't this time.
In any case, postgresql's default is to use 32 semaphores, and
src/sys/kern/sysv_sem.c suggests that the FreeBSD default is to
support up to 60, so I'm not sure why you needed a custom kernel.