Re: Floppy Support

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 20:20:39 +0200
On Sun, 4 May 2003 01:25, Duraid Madina wrote:
> > 1. El Torito.  Last I checked, under emulation, 2.88MB was the largest
> > boot image available, so fitting the bootloader/kernel/etc. onto two
> > floppies is still quite significant.
>
> We could use El Torito's "type 4" hard disk emulation. Installing
> FreeBSD from such an environment seems a little gross, but religiously
> mangling kernels to fit onto 1.44Mb floppies seems worse.

I think actually getting this to work is substantially more difficult than you
make out.

Yes hard disk emulation works but lots of BIOSen don't do it, or do it
wrongly. They usually say they do it but only if you behave just like the NT
installer (because NT mandated this feature for certification)

I believe someone did work to try and get this to go but the basic point is
that 1.44Mb floppy emulation works on a lot more systems and has been a lot
more widely tested.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5