Re: Floppy Support

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 16:43:24 +0200
On Mon, 5 May 2003 16:25, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > Or use modules..
> > The vast majority of drivers are loadable as modules. It would be
> > feasible to standardise the PCI ID tables of drivers and then generate a
> > list from it which you can use to load modules for cards you find.

> of causing the loader to pre-load it using BIOS calls, or for
> which the kernel can load it only if there is a driver for
> that media statically compiled into the kernel, or for which a
> driver has been loaded via BIOS calls by the loader before the
> kernel is started.
>
> Q:	I have a CDROM on controller XXX, how do I install?
>
> A:	Load the driver for controller XXX from the CDROM.
>
> Q:	If I could access the CDROM without the !_at_#!$*! driver,
> 	I wouldn't need to *LOAD* the driver!
>
> A:	Oh.
>

> Still a "catch-22".

I am generally assuming access to another PC here.

I understand what you are saying, and yes it would be good if the loader could
use the BIOS to load drivers it determined you had hardware for or wished to
load, but I think that is a non-trivial amount of work.

If the loader groked cd9660 already it would be a lot easier.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5