Re: Precaution!

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 06:08:53 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20030506131623.X65698_at_daneel.foundation.hs>
            Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer_at_fto.de> writes:
: Hello Warner,
:
: > If you booted a kernel from approximately April 15th through May 3th,
: > there were a number of small, but critical, vm bugs.  This can cause
: > file system corruption, and leave silent landmines for later.  It is
: > recommended that if you did boot these kernels, you build a newer
: > kernel, come up in single user and force an fsck on all filesystems.
: > This is to prevent 'false' panics later that are a result of the
: > corruption that might be dormant in them now.
:
: could this bug have caused corruption of the content of files as well ?
:
: i am having relatively rare cases of corrupted (32kb sized blocks of) data
: which i copy from disk to disk - and am now wondering if this might be
: related.

I don't know.  I think it might, since I've seen one file on my system
become corrupt in the manner that you suggest.

Warner