Re: Options available for using >4Gb RAM on x86

From: Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp_at_alogis.com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 16:39:29 +0000
David Landgren (david_at_landgren.net) wrote:

>I'm looking at replacing my Squid proxy hardware in the next month or
>two. I'll be deploying a single processor (+HTT) HP DL-380 G3 with 6Gb
>RAM and two RAID 1 volumes.

I can't comment on 5.x, but I experienced some problems with the latest
HP DL360G3, as the bios was changed lately to reduce fan noises, and then
a OS-dependant health driver might be needed. Otherwise, the system will
overheat and switch off without warning.
  A possible solution might be to reactivate fan hardware control (iirc there
are some hardware switches) and/or go back to an older Firmware. For the
DL 360 G3 we used SP23587.exe (ProLiant DL360 G3 ROM P31 (01/09/2003))
which worked. And don't forget to complain to HP ;-)

>This uses (at least in 4.x) the bge network driver and the ciss SCSI
>driver. Is this even reasonable to consider right now or are they
>known to be completely untested?

Regards,
Holger Kipp