Re: HEADS UP: Today's -CURRENT, vinum damage

From: Vallo Kallaste <kalts_at_estpak.ee>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:54:20 +0300
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:55:45PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
<grog_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> >> I cvsup'd this morning, and built/installed a new -CURRENT.  (I was
> >> previously running circa morning April 29.)
> >>
> >> I was greeted by
> >>   WARNING: Expected rawoffset 63, found 0
> >> which seemed harmless enough (I only mention it in passing).
> >>
> >> When attempting to start Vinum, the `vinum' process became stuck &
> >> unkillable in biord.  Has anyone else seen this?
> >>
> >> I loaded my old kernel and I am trying to recover by rebuilding a
> >> morning of 2003/05/04 world.
> >
> > The `morning of 2003/05/04' world works.  I will try again in a couple
> > of days, and get some more debug info if the problem persists.
>
> Is anybody else having trouble with recent Vinum?  If so, please let
> me know as soon as possible.

It's broken. I had to do some repairwork to get my /usr back up just
moments ago. The May 6 kernel and userland from ~17:30 UTC hangs at
boot while trying to start vinum (scan disks). May 1 kernel and May
6 userland will not play together, complains about some ioctl. I had
to boot Windows and download older vinum(8) binary from JPSNAP
livetree. I don't want to see such things in the supposedly _BETA_
software. This isn't BETA, it's some weird breed if I can name it.
Ugh.
--

Vallo Kallaste