Re: hardcoded -C argument to ${INSTALL}

From: Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 13:13:11 -0700
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <3EB8109D.2060307_at_isi.edu>, Lars Eggert writes:
>>
>>I'm putting a script together that will remove stale pieces after an
>>installworld, and my find+mtime approach chokes, because some uses of
>>${INSTALL} in the Makefiles hardcode the -C argument, which will cause
>>file modification times to not be updated if the files are identical.
>
> I would argue this is actually the correct behaviour.o

It's probably faster because the copy operation is skipped when the
files are identical, but otherwise the results should be identical
(modulo the updated mtimes).

If so, putting "INSTALL=install -C" in /etc/make.conf accomplished this
easily. The problem is that there's currently no way to turn off the
hardcoded -C in some Makefiles.

> My suggestion for such a tool would be to run make installworld with
> a DESTDIR set, and compare the two trees ?

That's an approach I hadn't considered, but it feels more heavy-weight.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse_at_isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute