HP ProLiant DL360G3 rebuttal... ;-)

From: Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) <"Cagle,>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:12:55 -0500
The HP ProLiant DL360G3 that Holger mentions below has hardware fan
control enabled by default.  With the latest BIOS version (and without
running a health driver), the hardware will start the fans at low speed
and will switch them to high speed when a certain temperature (e.g.
"temp-caution") is reached.  The fans will then run at full speed until
the server is rebooted.  If the temperature reaches an even higher trip
point (e.g. "temp-deadly") the server will automatically power off
(without a graceful shutdown).

There's no reason to use an older BIOS version.  The latest version will
start the fans at a low speed instead of starting them at a high speed.
Thus, if operating in a cool environment, you'll have less noise.

FWIW, some of the benefits of running a health driver (on a supported
OS) are:

- fans will gradually ramp up in speed instead of going directly from
slow to fast.
- a graceful OS shutdown can occur instead of the abrupt power off when
the system overheats.

Regards,
John
John Cagle     john.cagle_at_hp.com