Re: hardcoded -C argument to ${INSTALL}

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman_at_lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 22:59:39 -0400 (EDT)
<<On Tue, 6 May 2003 22:53:10 -0400, Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu> said:

> Do the mtree files reflect options the administrator has set when
> doing a buildworld, things like NO_KERBEROS or NO_PERL or NO_GAMES,
> etc, etc?

Not currently, but that can be arranged.  (Just build a release with
your favorite options set.)  Of course, you lose the benefit of being
able to piggyback someone else's effort that way, but them's the
breaks.  Each installation `dist' has its own mtree file.  Where this
really helps is in figuring out what your starting point is: 99% of
all FreeBSD installations were created from released installation
media at some point in the murky past.  So, if you're updating a 4.7
system to -current, you can easily identify which of the files you
have *came with* that installation, and follow the removal of files
through 4.8, 5.0, and soon 5.1.  We release often enough that this is
sufficient for most people's purposes.

-GAWollman