Error handling of SERIAL NUMBER probe during device probing

From: Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:44:25 -0700 (PDT)
I have a Powerfile Firewire device.  It contains two
DVD-RAM drives, a TOSHIBA and a PANASONIC.  One of the
drives does not support the probe for SERIAL NUMBER,
specifically the following command:

 sbp0:0:1 XPT_SCSI_IO: cmd: 12 21 80 00 ff 00 00 00 00
00, flags: 0x40, 6b cmd/255b data/18b sense
 sbp0:0:1 SCSI status 2 sfmt 0 valid 0 key 5 code 24
qlfr 0 len 3
.
.
.
<repeats several times>

This inquiry command appears to be generated only
during the SERIAL NUMBER probe (the 0x80 in the
INQUIRY was found only in the SERIAL NUMBER probe.)

This command and its response are repeated over and
over in the log file.  I left this sequence run for a
few minutes with no end.

I suppose I need a quirk entry in cam_xpt.c for
CAM_QUIRK_NOSERIAL, but shouldn't the serial number
probe simply give up on ILLEGAL_COMMAND (key=5,
code=24 => INVALID FIELD IN CDB).

So, should I just add the quirk or should the probe
give up on inquiries that return ILLEGAL COMMAND?

Thanks,

Chuck McCrobie