Re: data corruption with current (maybe sis chipset related?)

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 22:58:17 -0700
walt wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> <...>
> > The problem appears on any processor that supports 4M pages;
> > that includes both Intel and AMD processors.  Whether or not
> > you personally see it is based on the memory usage patterns
> > that are required to trigger it...
>
> Do I recall from some months ago that this bug would not
> affect machines with less than a gig of RAM?

The amount of memory at which you see it depends on the processor
features.  Now that autotuning is in, there's a stair-step for
how much the system uses for each resource pool, based on how
much RAM is in the system.  It's quite unpredictable where it will
show up in -current, because of this (and the new memory allocator).

Basically, the problem will show wherever the memory size vs.
memory utilization tickles it (that's why upping maxfiles was
enough to scare it off, before the tuning/allocator changes
went in).

-- Terry