Re: Interrupt latency problems

From: Soeren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:41:35 +0200 (CEST)
It seems Paul Richards wrote:
> I'm having real problems with current with heavy disk activity.
>
> When working in X and updating ports which causes a lot of disk activity
> I get *very* poor interactive responses. Keypresses can not appear for
> seconds and mouse movement is very jerky and unresponsive.
>
> I'm wondering if something is holding locks a long time in interrupt
> handlers and causing mouse/keyboard interrupts to be lost?
>
> Since this is caused by heavy disk activity then my first guess would be
> the ATA driver.

Well, sortof, we have this lock called Giant, and we need all drivers
to get out from under that. Now I have a plan to implement this in
the ATA driver, but its rather complex to get it done right, and my
spare time is limitted, meaning its not going to be done tomorrow...

> Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com>
> FreeBSD Services Ltd

<soabbox>
Now, if you are talking as freebsd-services as this implies, why dont
you guys use some of the $$ you make on FreeBSD to sponser work like
the above to happen ?
Looks to me like it would be beneficial to all parties..
</soabbox>

-Søren