(unknown charset) Re: atapicam

From: (unknown charset) Hans Lambermont <hans_at_lambermont.dyndns.org>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:22:10 +0200
Glenn Johnson wrote:

> I have the following options in my kernel for -current,
>
> FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #3: Sat May 10 12:21:02 CDT 2003     root_at_gforce.johnson.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GFORCE
>
> device  atapicam
> device  scbus
> device  pass
> device  cd0
>
> However, the necessary devices are not present in /dev and thus I can
> not get cdrecord to work.  What do I need to do?  Please do not suggest
> burncd as that does not work with my drive.

My atapicam attempt is only a little bit further, the devices are there,
but they don't function:

I'm trying to use the CAM system for cd access under FreeBSD 5.1-BETA
as of Sat May 10.

I've set up the following devices in my kernel config:

device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          atapicam        # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto via CAM
                                # needs CAM to be present (scbus & pass)

I see cd0 being set up nicely at kernel boot:

cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <MATSHITA UJDA730 DVD/CDRW 1.04> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present - tray closed

The transport layer device /dev/xpt0 exists:
crw-------  1 root  operator  104,   0 May 10 19:50 /dev/xpt0

The CAM application passthrough devices /dev/pass* exist:
crw-------  1 root  operator   31,   0 May 10 19:50 /dev/pass0

So far so good, but every cam action I try fails :

# camcontrol devlist
camcontrol: error sending CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device

# camcontrol rescan all
camcontrol: CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

# cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 -dao *.wav
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot open SCSI driver.

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 2.0 (i386-unknown-freebsd5.1) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed.  Cannot open SCSI driver.

Suggestions anyone ? (yes burncd works)

Hans Lambermont
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/   () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML mail,