troff can't find macro files

From: Khairil Yusof <kaeru_at_pd.jaring.my>
Date: 11 May 2003 14:04:47 +0800
A very recent buildworld (yesterday) on -current has caused problems
with troff and my man pages:

troff: fatal error: can't find macro file tty-char

Upon investigation, I found that troff was looking for macros in the
default /usr/local/share/tmac dirs instead of /usr/share/tmac of
freebsd.

This is fixed by setting GROFF_TMAC_PATH to the correct paths, but
although my buildworld didn't have problems, a lot of man pages display
nothing. Is this supposed to be set or is troff patched for this on
freebsd?

These were missing man pages on my system:
man
grep (but egrep, fgrep etc. works)
find

a make clean, make, make install fixes bins that have the manual
missing.

All the other common commands I use, all seem to have man working
properly.

I hope I have provided enough clues on why, some man pages weren't
installed and why troff can't find macros by default.

Does this problem affect anybody else?

--

FreeBSD 5.1-BETA 1:41PM up 1:06, 1 user, load averages: 0.82, 0.85, 0.81