Re: sysinstall non-USB mouse dialog confusing

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 16:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 11 May 2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:22:00PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Since I think the pendulum has swung over towards USB mice being the
> > majority, I think a better flow for this would be something like:
>
> I don't argue that the double negative is confusing.

Cool, we agree on that much. :)

> I don't think you can claim any pendulum shifting yet.  Looking around my
> home office and a large 200 person area at work; USB mice are still an
> order of magnitude less prevalent (except with laptops).  I don't think
> you can use such an argument for swaying things that way.

Well, I would disagree that USB mice aren't much more common nowadays, but
the other line of reasoning that I neglected to make explicity in my post
is that OTHER usb devices are becoming much more common as well, and there
is not currently an "enable usb support" dialog in sysinstall other than
the very confusing one for mice. Therefore, I think the more generalized
wording below is more suitable.

> > Enable USB support for mice, and other USB devices? [Yes] No
> > Enable support for a PS/2 (non-USB) mouse? Yes [No]
>
> The defaults should be "No" for both.  The pre-USB mouse default of "no"
> was most likely with servers in mind.  I don't see any more servers
> having USB mice than had PS/2 mice.

I don't think sysinstall is generally used for most server installations,
however I'm willing to compromise on the defaults if others think the same
way.

Doug