RE: sysinstall non-USB mouse dialog confusing

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:06:33 -0400 (EDT)
On 11-May-2003 Doug Barton wrote:
> I've complained about this before, but it's still there, so I'll try one
> more time. :)

I don't recall any earlier complaints.  My only previous recollection was
Jordan getting confused and getting the dialog box backwards at one point.

> When doing a clean install from CD, one of the dialogs that
> comes up in the configuration phase asks, "Do you have a non-USB mouse
> attched?" This dialog defaults to No, which makes it even more confusing.
> To add insult to injury, if you choose No, usbd will be enabled in
> /etc/rc.conf, whether you have a mouse or not.

First, you are confusing two issues.  usbd gets turned on if you have
USB, period.  The mouse question is about moused and has absolutely
squat to do with usbd.

> Since I think the pendulum has swung over towards USB mice being the
> majority, I think a better flow for this would be something like:
>
> Enable USB support for mice, and other USB devices? [Yes] No

This is currently automagical.

> Enable support for a PS/2 (non-USB) mouse? Yes [No]

Perhaps the dialog should be reworded to say 'PS/2, Serial, or Bus mouse'.