Re: rpc.lockd spinning; much breakage

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:01:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Don Lewis wrote:

> > The rpc.lockd process remains extremely busy even after crash2 is rebooted
> > and the stream of packets is no longer present.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to go about debugging these problems, but the current
> > scenario basically means I can't get both the crash boxes through their
> > daily events if both the client and server are very busy (i.e., if they
> > both run their daily events at the same time).  I'm going to reboot cboss
> > and the systems and see if that flushes whatever nasty state hangs around,
> > but any advice on the debugging process would be helpful.  Is there a way
> > to get rpc.lockd on the server to dump it's state to a file?
>
> Why not attach the process in gdb and step through the code to find the
> loop?

Well, I guess the problem is I'm not familiar with the NFS lock manager
protocol, and what I'm looking for more is debugging advice: is the best
approach to attach to the client or server rpc.lockd?  I had a lot of
trouble getting ethereal to work well for debugging NLM stuff as it tended
to crash. :-)  Things are somewhat complicated by the fact that once you
lose the rpc.lockd on a client, lots of programs begin to hang and stack
up...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories