Re: rpc.lockd spinning; much breakage

From: Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. <bsder_at_allcaps.org>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Robert Watson wrote:

> (3) Sometimes rpc.lockd on 5.x acting as a server gets really confused
>     when you mix local and remote locks.

Yes, don't do that. ;)

One problem is that FreeBSD doesn't allocate enough fields in its local
lock structure to distinguish external identifiers in the locks (all locks
look like they are owned by the rpc.lockd user).  Consequently, rpc.lockd
has to maintain its own state as to who has what locks.

I believe there were also some issues with atomicity in POSIX partial file
locking on FreeBSD that have since been fixed.

Consequently, I punted when I wrote the rpc.lockd code to support POSIX
partial file locking.  The server rpc.lockd locks the *entire file* when
it gets an NFS request to lock any portion of it.  In addition, it will
return an immediate fail if the kernel has any portion of the desired file
locked.

-a