Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des_at_ofug.org>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:10:07 +0200
Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
>    |-----------------+-------------+-------------+--------------------------|
>    | Panic on        |             |             | If a network device      |
>    | load/unload a   |             |             | driver, possibly any     |
>    | kernel module   |             |             | driver, is linked into   |
>    | for a driver    | Patch       | Maxime      | the kernel and then      |
>    | already         | submitted   | Henrion     | loaded and unloaded as a |
>    | statically      |             |             | module, the kernel will  |
>    | linked into the |             |             | panic. This has been     |
>    | kernel.         |             |             | observed with both if_dc |
>    |                 |             |             | and if_fxp.              |
>    |-----------------+-------------+-------------+--------------------------|

I'm unable to reproduce this; kldload refuses to load a module which
is already present, and if you try to preload a driver which is
compiled into the kernel, the kernel will refuse to register it.

There have been problems with unloading network drivers (due to
interrupts being delivered to a handler which had disappeared into
thin air) but these had nothing to do with whether the driver was
already compiled-in, and I believe they were fixed about a month ago.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des_at_ofug.org