vm_page_max_wired and gpg...

From: Michael Edenfield <kutulu_at_kutulu.org>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:27:38 -0400
For some time now, gpg has been having issues on my -CURRENT system
with being unable to mlock() the ~8k buffer it uses to hold the
decrypted secret key.  A ktrace shows that it's being returned an
EAGAIN from mlock(), which my peeking around has shown could be:

1) I hit the RLIMIT_MLOCK limit on memory locking, or
2) I hit the system-wide "wired pages" limit.

There are no memlock resource limits, so I figure it must be #2.  I
have managed to figure out that the limit in question is held in
"vm_page_max_wired" in vm_pageout.c, but I can't find any way to
display this number at runtime.

I have (I think) plenty of RAM on this machine, certainly enough for
gpg to lock 8k of it for a few seconds, so I dunno why I'd be hitting
any system-wide limit.

Any advice on where to look further?

--Mike