Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO

From: Nicolai Petri <lists_at_petri.cc>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:59:04 +0200
From: "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des_at_ofug.org>
Subject: Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO
> I'm unable to reproduce this; kldload refuses to load a module which
> is already present, and if you try to preload a driver which is
> compiled into the kernel, the kernel will refuse to register it.
Well.... The problem(s) certainly still exists.. And the most common crash
is because under kldload, sysctl_register fails because of a duplicated
oid.When unloading the module it fails to unregister the sysctl's, and
then sysctl_unregister() causes a panic().

My patches and some thoughts on kld-problems kan be found at
http://hobbes.bsd-dk.dk/~npp/ ..
We should definately have these patches (or similar) committed before
RC1 is released.

There is still some not-so-easy to fix crashes when e.g. random is
statically compiled into the kernel and then preloaded in the loader.
I have some ideas for fixing these but it kills binary compatibility and
it will need thorough testing.

> There have been problems with unloading network drivers (due to
> interrupts being delivered to a handler which had disappeared into
> thin air) but these had nothing to do with whether the driver was
> already compiled-in, and I believe they were fixed about a month ago.

You are right in some of this.. I think the "interrupt while unload" crashes
have been fixed..

> Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des_at_ofug.org
---
Nicolai Petri