Re: atacontrol not reflecting disabled write cache (or rogue hdd?)

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:12:47 +0200
On Thursday 24 April 2003 07:47, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
>
> > I've recently changed hw.ata.wc to 0 (via loader.conf.local) on two
> > systems and on both systems atacontrol cap still says write cache
> > supported & enabled (sysctl confirms the setting being 0). One system is
> > 5.0-RELEASE, the other 4.8-RC.
> >
> > Is atacontrol lying or do the drives insist on write caching?
>
> I'd say the drives insists on it beeing on...

Reviving this thread because I made an interesting observation: I recently
changed to Mobo of the 5.0-RELEASE system from an ASUS P2B-B (Intel
440BX/PIIX4) to an ASUS CUSL2-M (Intel 815E/ICH2) and lo and behold - the
write cache is disabled now, according to atacontrol cap. Maybe there is a
bug hidden in there somewhere after all...

--
Regards,
	Michael Nottebrock