Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO

From: Stefan Eßer <se_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:08:23 +0200
On 2003-05-13 21:53 -0700, Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
> > wouldn't a release that corrupts data in many, relevant, cases (i consider
> > the box i had the trouble with entirely mainstream) be worse than no
> > release at all?
>
> Bosko's fix raises the minimum memory requirements by 3M.  It's
> probably worth it for most people, but it will probably annoy
> other people...

Seems we could have DISABLE_PG_G in GENERIC and have Bosko's fix
compiled in for CPU models >= 586 (the 486 isn't affected, AFAIK)
only if DISABLE_PG_G is NOT specified in the kernel config file ?

I.e. GENERIC disables use of 4M pages but does not need the extra
3MB of RAM, while a custom kernel without DISABLE_PG_G needs the
extra memory but contains the "fix" ...

Regards, STefan