Re: MIDI on SB Live! ? (fwd)

From: <jimd_at_siu.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 18:41:36 +0000 (CDT)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 18:08:45 +0000 (CDT)
From: jimd_at_siu.edu
To: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Re: MIDI on SB Live! ?

I have two MIDI keyboards: small, inexpensive Casiotone MT-240 that has
very nice builtin piano samples; large, moderately expensive Yamaha
PSR-210 with nice builtin brass, woodwind, and string samples. I use a
simple "midi connector" with a serial cable with two OUT's, two THRU's,
and one IN. I oftentimes use both keyboards for playback instruments along
with the Amiga builtin 4-channel sound chip.

I have Dr. T's KCS, Sonix, and DeluxeMusic Amiga S/W, all of which are
MIDI capable. I also have "Pipes" and some other Amiga music S/W,
but don't really use them. KCS is very "complete" (ie; complex) including
signal/note quantization. I don't use its exhanced features, really. I use
KCS mostly for live MIDI input recording from keyboard. Sonix and
DeluxeMusic are used for note/score generation and playback, including
MIDI output.

Yes - I have a pretty good "ear", notwithstanding tinitus. Yes - I can
test modules - I have a small 4GB SCSI HD with just enough space to
compile a kernel and relatively small modules. I have two other larger
SCSI drives that I would like to "protect". I have FBSD-5.1-BETA on the
small and one large SCSI drives, and FBSD-4.8-STABLE on the other larger
SCSI drive. Any "mangle-testing" I would like to limit to the 4GB HD.