Re: 5.1-BETA umount problems

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:29:38 +1000 (EST)
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> On Sun, 18 May 2003, David Schultz wrote:
> > By the way, why is the original poster walking around and shooting
> > himself in the foot?  Sigh.  The dangers of firearms...
>
> I wanted to unmount as many filesystems as possible before connecting my
> Dazzle 6-in-1 USB reader (the one that used to work, but now causes
> panics). As you can imagine fsck'ing 650GB takes a little while... ;)
> Also, /lib on this system is nfs exported, and I couldn't be arsed to kill
> -9 nfsd and mountd.

Use "umount -A" to unmount as many systems as possible.  For umount(2),
-A is documented umount all file systems except "/", but it cannot be
expected to always do that unless -f is also specified.

"umount -A" used to give an almost clean unmount after shutting down
to single user mode.  It was only missing a "mount -u -o ro /".  Now
it also fails to unmount devfs.

Remounting file systems readonly is useful for avoiding fscks when
you expect to panic.  I mount large archival file systems readonly most
of the time and occasionally remount /home and /usr readonly when I
expect to panic.

Bruce