Re: Do we want to split release.9 into MD parts now or not?

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:30:48 -0700
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> [Reattaching current_at_ as this turns out to be a normal discussion.]

> I have no idea why we need to boot(8) i386 with -P.

I'm pretty sure that it's because some legacy hardware puts
the keyboard controller into the keyboard, rather than on
the motherboard.  E.g. HP Vectra and AT&T 386/SX-16 WGS
boxes.

> Overall, I think that having 9 architecture ifdefs for
> the whole boot floppies creation process is allowable,
> especially bearing in mind that they are real tiny,
> and 3 of them can be considered temporary.
>
> On the contrary, in my opinion splitting release.9 into
> MD subtargets would bring a lot more disorder here.
>
> I'd have liked to hear other opinions now (our opinions,
> David, we already know ;-).

FWIW, I agree with Ruslan.  I think the reason this is
actually wanted, by those who claim to want it, is that
there have been recent questions on whether or not floppies
are supported for e.g. SPARC booting, because there are
floppy images out there.  Maybe adding another knob is a
better idea (suppresss floppy creation).

-- Terry