XFree86 process gets stuck in *Giant

From: Glenn Johnson <gjohnson_at_srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:02:59 -0500
I have had this happen a couple of times since running -CURRENT (since
about the days of 5.0-RELEASE).  My machine (an SMP box) will be
non-responsive, no graphics, no ability to use the mouse or keyboard.
Upon logging into another machine and using ssh to connect to the hung
machine, I can login to it, albeit very slowly.  Upon running 'top' I
see that the XFree86 process is stuck in *Giant and using > 100% of the
CPU (according to top).

The only way out is a reboot because if I kill the XFree86 process the
machine will completely die.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there
something I can do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252