Re: gcc/libm floating-point bug?

From: Jon Lido <jlido_at_goof.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:12:27 -0400
On Tuesday 20 May 2003 02:00 pm, David Schultz wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003, Jon Lido wrote:
> > Well, I do have a P4, and had built everything with -march=pentium4.
> > However, rebuilding the kernel and modules with -march=pentium3 produces
> > the same results.
>
> This isn't a kernel problem, so you need to rebuild libm and libc
> without -march=pentium4.  You really don't want to be using the
> Pentium 4 optimizations in gcc 3.2 anyway; the generated code is
> generally slower.  gcc 3.3 has fixes for a number of the bugs, but
> I don't know about the performance problems.

Yes, this was the problem.  I rebuilt world with -march=pentium3 and that did
the trick.

I'm not sure how CPUTYPE gets handled, but perhaps p4 should expand to
-march=pentium3, if possible.  There seems no point to generating slower,
broken code.  Once gcc 3.3 is part of the base system this could be put back.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

-Jon