Re: Do we want to split release.9 into MD parts now or not?

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 23:29:41 +0300
On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:29:22AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 12:34:23PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > [Reattaching current_at_ as this turns out to be a normal discussion.]
>
> Err, Why??  You seem to want to turn this into a bikeshed.

Nope.  I just use the facts.  And since "small group" of
two of us cannot agree, we need a broader attention.  I
really hate these "closed" discussions in this open source
project.

> Thing like
> this should be coordinated, designed, and prototyped by a small group of
> people and then presented.

Hrm,

> I'm not going to get into a long winded
> thread with you on this in this forum.

Up to you.  But I think others may be interested in the subject too.

> > A bandaid for Alpha kern.flp being low on space (kgzip(1)
> > support would fix that).
>
> You seem to be the only one strongly arguing for boot floppies on Alpha,
> and you don't even own one [yet].

While I don't own one, I have root accounts on two of these
machines, one in Ukraine, and one in Netherlands.  I don't
see how this applies here though.  Or is that just another
way of saying that you own all FreeBSD supported arches
machines?  ;-)

> I guess they provide a fun challenge
> for you, but the rest of us that do release builds have come to totally
> hate them.

I'm not against dropping floppy support for some arches,
I'm against splitting release.9 into MD parts that you did
for no good reason (in my humble opinion).  If they aren't
needed, the arch can set NO_FLOPPIES in release/Makefile.

> > Overall, I think that having 9 architecture ifdefs for
>
> You forgot the whole small, and if this exists and that exists, and then
> do foo.

> The makefile is a mess.

We are real sorry, but it takes some thousands lines of
code to build you the release for all arches.  ;)

> We've been in-line ".ifdef" special casing everything related
> to the floppies

Ten^Wseven ifdefs I don't consider "too many".

> and CDROM boot image for too
> long.  We would never tolerate that in our C code.

The CDROM boot image creation has already been split:

alpha/mkisoimages.sh    ia64/mkisoimages.sh
i386/mkisoimages.sh     sparc64/mkisoimages.sh

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru_at_sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,