Re: /dev/null and KSE panic 100% reproducible

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:23:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > This stopped the panics (the double panics, I should say).
>
>  ok it's committed.. Sorry it took so long to figure it out.

Looks like the underlying panic here has to do with UFS2 not properly
handling EA operations on device nodes.  I was sure that we fixed this at
some point, so I'm busy trying to track it down in our local trees --
maybe we forgot to merge the fix.  This probably wouldn't show up for most
people using UFS2 EAs, since they're mostly using devfs now.  The one edge
case appears to be when the linux compat /dev/null contains device nodes,
instead of symlinks to the real /dev.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories