FreeBSD 5.1-BETA2 install results

From: Mike Schreckengost <mrpolitics_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:10:24 -0400
Hi everyone. First off, I am newly subscribed to this mailing list and
apologize if some of the following issues have already been covered. I've
scanned the messages from the past few days, but you never know...

I just performed a 'clean' install of 5.0-BETA2, and have encountered a few
issues which may (or may not!) be considered as 'bugs'. Relevant system
specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon MP 2100+
1GB RAM
(1) WD 120GB (model #WD1200BB-00CAA1) UDMA100 IDE hard drive
(1) WD 80GB (model #WD800BB-00CAA) UDMA100 IDE hard drive

I dual-boot with Windows XP, and FreeBSD has been installed on the second
80GB drive.

Issues encountered:

1) Sysinstall warned that the detected HD geometry was wrong, and used a
'more likely geometry' in fdisk (which was the correct geometry, AFAIK)

2) Upon executing 'newfs' to format the drive, a bunch  of messages spewed
across the install screen like this:

    S:63 = (0/1/1) E:135813509 = (ff/fe/ff)
    S:135813510 = (ff/ff/ff) E:156296384 = (ff/fe/ff)

3) The 'krb5' and 'ports' distributions failed to install over FTP from
ftp://ftp5.FreeBSD.org. I noticed in a prior post to this list that the krb5
distro was folded into 'crypto', which appears to be correct. However,
sysinstall still looks for 'krb5' separately and issues an error when it
can't be found.

4) After installing the 'crypto' distribution, the following error is
visible in the debug window (ttyv1).
    /stand/gunzip: failed fclose

Aside from these issues, which may or _may not_ be problems, the install
went rather well.

One more note: when I boot my system, the very first kernel message that I
see is:
    stray IRQ 7

This did not occur in FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE, I wonder what has changed? irq7
is used by my parallel port, which has a printer attached (lpt0).

That's it. :) I'm sorry if this message sounds like I'm nitpicking (I'm
not!), but I just wanted to do my part to help make the next release as
stable and problem-free as possible. Feel free to request any additional
information, and thanks in advance for your help...

Regards.
Mike