Re: KSE panic

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:24:12 -0700
"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> > If you are asking what you seem to be asking -- "How do I
> > boot a kernel.debug file instead of a kernel" -- you don't;
> > the kernel.debug is too big, and the kernel debugger doesn't
> > understand debug sections.  You *must* use a remote debug,
> > or post-mortem a crash dump, if you want to see where the
> > problem is.
>
> Nope, I'm asking exactly what I asking. What can I put in /etc/make.conf
> that will force "make installkernel" to copy kernel.debug to /boot/kernel?

Nothing.  You have to modify the Makefile template to define a
variable to do that, so that the config-generated Makefile will
do that, if you set the variable.

Of course, the resulting /boot/kernel will not boot if you do
this, as I pointed out before.  The boot-loader is too stupid
to not load the debug symbol data section and run you out of
KVA space in the process.

-- Terry