Re: 5.1 PAE testing results: 2 panics

From: Jake Burkholder <jake_at_locore.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 22:40:41 -0400
Apparently, On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 08:11:33PM -0500,
	Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) said words to the effect of;

> I am testing -current on a ProLiant DL560 4P with 8.25 GB of RAM.
> I have enabled PAE and SMP+APIC in my kernel config.
>
> I initially had problems with the ciss and bge drivers, but Paul
> Saab has added PAE support to those drivers and they have been
> checked into CVS (Thanks Paul!).
>
> I am now running into a reproduceable panic when doing a single
> SSH session doing a "find . -print" on an NFS file share:
>
>  panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 96624640 total allocated
>
> I tried lowering kern.maxvnodes from 536130 (default) to 200000,
> but that did not alleviate the panic.

Can you try reducing this by half again to 100,000 and see if that
helps things?  Increasing the amount of available kva with options
KVA_PAGES may also work, but finding the right limits for vnodes is
a better solution.  Note that the values for KVA_PAGES are doubled
with PAE, eg 512 gives you the standard 3G user/1G kernel split.

> If anyone has any ideas of what might be the problem, please let
> me know.  I have attached a stack trace and some statistics
> captured just before the panic that may be helpful.
>
> Also, I get a different panic whenever mounting /dev/fd0:

Can you send the full dmesg for this machine?  What I'm wondering is
if you see this message during boot when the floppy driver attaches.
	printf("isa_dmainit(%d, %d) failed\n", chan, bouncebufsize);

Thanks for the report,
Jake