Re: possible bug fix for 82550-based fxp packet truncation problem

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:34:18 -0700 (PDT)

> > Just to let people know, I have been trying to investigate this, but
> > my time has been somewhat limited lately. The original reason I turned
> > off the IP checksumming on transmit was that there was one test case
> > where the chip seemed to be generating improper checksums. That is,
> > if you did something like: ping -s 1473 <otherhost>. This would result
> > in a full sized frame, plus a small IP fragment containing just one
> > byte of data. On the machine I used for testing, the small fragment
> > was rejected by the host on the other side due to a bad header checksum.
>
> According to the second note in the Intel document that I cited,
> hardware checksumming is unsupported in this case.

Argh. No. IP checksumming == a checksum of the IP header only. The
chip is perfectly capable of computing IP header checksums over
fragments, and does so quite well, _except_ in this one bizarro case
I encountered with tiny packets on this single P166 system.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
      "If stupidity were a handicap, you'd have the best parking spot."