Re: Updating -CURRENT, what about outdated files?

From: Joshua Goodall <joshua_at_roughtrade.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:05:59 +1000
On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 11:43:44AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Bear in mind the conditionals of make(1) and sh(1)?

Neither of which install files.

I hope ;)

> But you don't often know if installworld attemps to install it
> or not, if it wasn't here:
>
> src/sys/boot/i386/loader/Makefile:
>
> beforeinstall:
> .if !exists(${DESTDIR}/boot/loader.rc)
> 	${INSTALL} -C -o ${BINOWN} -g ${BINGRP} -m 444 \
> 		${.CURDIR}/../../forth/loader.rc ${DESTDIR}/boot
> .endif
>
> > Other than the general case of using install -C, can you
> > point out any specific examples?  I thought that was the point
> > of mergemaster; to manage elements of the distribution where
> > simply overwriting would be inappropriate.

> Nope, mergemaster(8) deals with updating of /etc only, unless
> I'm horribly mistaken (I don't use it personally, but pretty
> much do what it does manually).

What you just said implies that installing world+kernel, then running
mergemaster, does not update every part of a FreeBSD base system
installation, modulo ports and make.conf knobs.

I knew that already about /stand.  I didn't realise it extended elsewhere.
Perhaps because I lack install-fu.

I confess that my Astonishment meter just twitched a little. Any
reason why /boot/loader.rc *shouldn't* be under mergemaster control?

At any rate, I'd expect to catch-and-document special cases, if
only through a find-and-diff.

I might just have a crack at this during the week.  I have a deep
sense of it being needed.

Joshua

--
Joshua Goodall                                      "tea makes itself"
joshua_at_roughtrade.net                                       - Ana Susanj