Re: Preliminary ELF prebinding patches available.

From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter_at_jurai.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 05:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
A few things before we have the SAME thread that the NetBSD folks had a
few months ago.

1.  Storing the prebinding information in libraries/executables, while
    highly desirable, is not practical at this time.

2.  The BUILDID information (time() + random()) and filename is sufficient
    to reduce the chance of a collision to nil.

If you'd like to argue with me about these statements I'll entertain those
discussions off the list.  For now, lets just accept them as given.

What is relevent is the transformation function I use on the BUILDID and
filename may result in collisions; I'm open to suggestions on this one.

Thanks.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter_at_jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |