Re: gbde Performance - 35Mb/s vs 5.2 MB/s

From: Christophe Zwecker <doc_at_zwecker.de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:47:22 +0200
Heiko Schaefer wrote:
> Hi Christophe,

> Poul gave me the following tip on this list in a mail on Tue, 29 Apr 2003:
>
> "Remember to set the sectorsize in gbde (gbde init -i) to the fragment
> size of your filesystem (typically 2048 for ufs), this is critical
> for performance."
>
> did you do that?

yes, he gave me the same tip, before that I hat 1.8mb (!)
since my cpu is faster than yours I should easily reach the 10MB/s and more.

> i do not have exact numbers, but i think i can get approx 10MB/s writing
> on my gbde disks with an athlon xp 1800+.
>
> ...i would be curious about what top (or ps auxw) tell you while you use
> your gbde disk. from what i've experienced, your cpu shouldn't be maxed
> out with 5MB/s throughput.

the dd command takes max 5% cpu load while doing  the test

> gbde is fairly slow for me too, but by using "gbde init -i", the cpu is
> the limiting factor. and i'm fairly fine with that, assuming the crypto
> that is done is sound :) ...unfortunately only with time that will become
> somewhat certain.

well you know wether it will speed up later on ? Its ok, unless I have
to reformat, I dont have the means to backup 700gb of data just like that.

thx for your comments anyway !

Christophe
--
Christophe Zwecker                     mail: doc_at_zwecker.de
Hamburg, Germany                        fon: +49 179 3994867

"Who is General Failure ?  And why is he reading my disk ??"