Re: Preliminary ELF prebinding patches available.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:19:23 -0700
On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 02:44:08PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> > The prebinding information lives under /var/db/prebind, right?
> > I don't think we normally put our executables there as well and
> > if we do, we don't have the prebind information *in* the executable.
> > Hence, prebind information is decoupled from the executable. One
>
> I try to determine how this influences the ports collection...
>
> Do we have to include the prebinding information in a package or can we
> omit them (I assume: we can omit them but it would be beneficial)?

You cannot include prebind information in the package, because the
prebinding information will not relate to binding on the system where
the package is installed, but on the system where the package is built.
Since we build packages around the clock, the build IDs in the ELF
files change every time we rebuild a package. Typically users install
a package once, which means that the prebind information would be
unusable within days (ie the time bento needs to rebuild packages).

Hence you need to generate it after you install, reinstall, upgrade
and remove packages. This means you have to collect more dependency
information beyond what we have now if you want to automate it. If
you don't automate it, prebinding will very likely not be used. It
will either not be created in the first place or will be stale and
unusable within weeks.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net