Re: vinum related panic in 5.1-BETA2 (long backtrace)

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:03:59 +0930
On Monday, 26 May 2003 at 19:03:28 +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this panic while running a cvs checkout of a part of the FreeBSD
> source tree. Debug kernel and coredump is available if you need more info.

Thanks for the backtrace.  It shows a problem I've seen on several
occasions, but which I haven't been able to track down.  As it says in
the man page and on the web site, and as I have told you personally, I
do need other information.  It's described in
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html:

What information to supply
--------------------------

If you need to contact me because of problems with Vinum, please send
me a mail message with the following information:

    * What problems are you having?
    * Which version of FreeBSD are you running?
    * Have you made any changes to the system sources, including
      Vinum?
    * Supply the output of the vinum list command. If you can't start
      Vinum, supply the on-disk configuration, as described below. If
      you can't start Vinum, then (and only then) send a copy of the
      configuration file.
    * Supply an extract of the Vinum history file. Unless you have
      explicitly renamed it, it will be /var/log/vinum_history. This
      file can get very big; please limit it to the time around when
      you have the problems. Each line contains a timestamp at the
      beginning, so you will have no difficulty in establishing which
      data is of relevance.
    * Supply an extract of the file /var/log/messages. Restrict the
      extract to the same time frame as the history file. Again, each
      line contains a timestamp at the beginning, so you will have no
      difficulty in establishing which data is of relevance.
    * If you have a crash, please supply a backtrace from the dump
      analysis as discussed below under Kernel Panics. Please don't
      delete the crash dump; it may be needed for further analysis.

If you don't supply all this information, it will make it much more
difficult to perform an analysis of the problem. If there is a good
reason why you can't supply the information, contact me anyway, but I
may not be able to do very much.

What not to supply
------------------

Please don't supply the following information unless I ask for it:

    * The output of the vinum printconfig command.
    * Your Vinum configuration file, unless your problem is that you
      can't start Vinum at all.
    * Your dmesg output.
    * Your kernel configuration file.
    * Processor dumps.

When I get the remaining information, I'll be in a better position to
understand what has gone wrong.

Greg